Basic Oral Communication Skills
Technical skills are important because you must be able to perform the functions of your position. You must begin with the basic skills and continuously learn in our environment of rapid change. Do you sometimes wonder why some individuals with excellent technical skills can never seem to get to a level above the technical technician in organizations? Do you see others with lesser technical skills rise above others and become leaders of their organization? The lack of oral communication skills has prevented a significant number of people from achieving their dreams of career success. Few individuals have natural oral communications skills that rise to the level of captivating audiences and leaving them totally satisfied or wanting to hear more from the communicator. You know, the type speakers you can’t wait for the next opportunity to hear more of what they have to say.
If you want to achieve all you desire in your career and have difficulty with your oral communication skills, make efforts to improve in this area by getting the required training. Don’t wait for a manager or leader to suggest the training, take the initiative to become better and you will increase your odds for career advancement. There are few really successful individuals who do not have good oral communication skills. I almost said none but thought of a few that would make you believe I “misspoke” due to some obvious success stories by most standards.
You might want to consider establishing some as goals with a timeline for completion. That can be a powerful enabler for goal accomplishment.
- Career Analysis-Analyze your career progress to determine if you are on track to achieve your career objectives. Ask the tough questions and be prepared to take the necessary actions required for career success.
- Skills Assessment- Most of us believe we can effectively perform all the required functions in our profession. An honest self-assessment will provide you with clues to the areas where improvements or new skills are needed. Be proactive and seek out any additional training and development that will make you better at what you do.
- Resume Update– The beginning of the year is an excellent time to update your resume. Do it whether you are looking for a new position or are completely satisfied with all aspects of your current position and career. Things can change rapidly so be prepared. Who knows, that outstanding opportunity that was a distant dream just might surface.
- Networking- Begin developing your network of contacts or start cultivating your existing network. This is a perfect time for that type activity because many others will be in the frame of mind to do the same thing.
- Mentoring- Touch base with your mentor. If you don’t have one, get one. He or she could be your portal to success and you need every advantage you can get in this competitive career environment.
- Read- Broaden your perspectives by staying in touch with current world events and reading about topics not related to what you currently know. Your schmoozing ability will play a significant role in your degree of success and that requires diverse knowledge, information, and technique.
- Continuous Learning- Make continuous learning a priority. No matter how good you are in your profession, taking a break from the learning process can make you obsolete. Seek out and take advantage of personal and career development opportunities.
- Start Fresh- Clean out those old files, both hard copy and electronic. Learn from the content of those files and identify actions that would be of value. There will be some real treasures in those files, use them to your advantage and move on.
- Utilize Technology- The Las Vegas technology show this year continues the trend of introducing new devices that will change how we work and live in profound ways. This field is showing no signs of slowing down and it is essential that you utilize and stay current with emerging technology in order to get or remain relevant in your career field.
- Make Health a Priority- Being successful in your career without maintaining your personal health is not a winning scenario. Do the things you must do in order to maintain your body, mind, and spirituality. That is the only way you can enjoy the benefits of a successful career.